7 Best Exercises and Workouts to Promote Weight Loss
Exercise and physical activity are equally important as diet for health and fitness. Their significance is enhanced to a great extent when it comes to weight loss. Your weight loss may not be accomplished or sustained over time by only changing your eating habits; it also requires stepping up your exercise routine.
Table of Contents
The right and regular exercise will go a long way in achieving your fitness goals, especially those related to weight. Exercises are also good for your overall health along with weight management, as they help to overcome several disorders like hypertension, diabetes, cholesterol, and other cardiovascular problems.
How do Exercises Aid in Weight Loss?
Most of the weight loss methods primarily involve calorie deficits. Individuals who want to lose weight need to attain it through various methods. When it comes to exercises or workouts, more physical activity increases the number of calories your body uses for energy. Using calories through regular workouts, combined with reducing the calories you eat, creates a calorie deficit that leads to weight loss.
7 Best exercises to Promote Weight Loss
If you want to lead a healthy and happy life, you optimize your diet and do regular exercise. If you want to achieve weight loss goals, you can add certain types of exercises or workouts to your daily routine.
Here are the seven best exercises and workouts to promote weight loss that you can practice at home and make yourself leaner, fitter, and stronger.
Aerobic exercises, like running, cycling, or swimming, increase your heart rate and boost calorie burn. They improve cardiovascular health, enhance metabolism, and contribute to overall fat loss. Consistent aerobic exercise can lead to a calorie deficit, a key factor in attaining weight loss goals.
How to perform aerobic exercises effectively for weight loss
- Choose an aerobic activity you enjoy: running, brisk walking, cycling, dancing, or swimming.
- Start slowly, gradually increasing intensity and duration.
- Aim for at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise per week.
Planks engage multiple muscle groups, including the core, shoulders, and legs. They improve core strength, stability, and posture, supporting overall body function. Increased muscle mass from planks contributes to a higher resting metabolic rate, contributing to weight loss.
How to perform planks effectively for weight loss
- Start in a push-up position with your arms straight.
- Lower onto your forearms, keeping your body in a straight line from head to heels.
- Hold for 20-60 seconds, keeping your core tight and avoiding sagging or arching.
- Repeat for 2-3 sets.
Push-Ups and Pull-Ups
Push-ups and pull-ups target various muscle groups, including the chest, arms, back, and shoulders. Building muscle through these exercises boosts metabolism and supports fat loss. They also contribute to overall strength and endurance, making daily activities easier.
How to perform push-ups effectively for weight loss
- Start in a plank position with your hands under your shoulders.
- Lower your body toward the ground by bending your elbows.
- Push back up to the starting position.
- Do 3 sets of 10-15 reps.
How to perform pull-ups effectively for weight loss
- Hang from a bar with palms facing away.
- Pull your body up until your chin passes the bar.
- Lower yourself back down with control.
- If you’re a beginner, assisted pull-up machines or resistance bands can be used.
Note: There might be affiliate links mentioned here. We may receive a commission if you purchase a product through an affiliate link. There is no additional charge for you. Please do your own research before making any online purchases.
Skipping or Jumping Rope
Jumping rope is a high-intensity cardiovascular exercise that burns a significant number of calories. It engages multiple muscle groups, enhancing overall body tone. It’s a convenient, affordable, and portable exercise that can be done anywhere.
How to perform skipping or jumping rope effectively for weight loss
- Choose a suitable rope and jump surface.
- Start with 5-10 minutes and gradually increase duration.
- Maintain good posture, keep your elbows close to your body, and use your wrists to turn the rope.
Squats engage large muscle groups like quadriceps, hamstrings, and glutes. They promote muscle building and increase calorie expenditure. Improved muscle mass contributes to a higher basal metabolic rate.
How to perform squats effectively for weight loss
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart.
- Lower your body by bending your knees and hips.
- Keep your back straight, chest up, and knees over your toes.
- Lower until your thighs are parallel to the ground, then return to the starting position.
- Do 3 sets of 12-15 reps.
Lunges work on the muscles of the lower body, including the quads, hamstrings, and glutes. They improve balance, flexibility, and core strength. Like squats, lunges contribute to increased muscle mass and metabolic rate.
How to perform lunges effectively for weight loss
- Stand with your feet together.
- Step forward with one leg and lower your body until both knees are bent.
- The back knee should hover just above the ground.
- Push back up to the starting position.
- Alternate legs and do 3 sets of 10-12 lunges on each leg.
Yoga contributes to weight loss through stress reduction and increased mindfulness. Certain yoga styles, like Vinyasa or Power Yoga, can provide a good cardiovascular workout. Yoga promotes overall well-being, addressing emotional factors that contribute to weight gain.
How to perform yoga effectively for weight loss
- Choose a style of yoga that suits your fitness level.
- Start with beginner-friendly poses and gradually progress.
- Practice regularly for both physical and mental benefits.
The significance of physical activity can’t be overemphasized when it comes to weight loss. Determine the best exercises and workouts to promote weight loss, choose one or more according to your suitability and include them in your weight loss plan. Performing the right exercises can benefit you in many ways, including weight loss.
Remember to consult with a healthcare professional or fitness expert before starting a new exercise regimen, especially if you have any pre-existing health conditions. Combining these exercises with a balanced diet will optimize your weight loss journey.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is for educational purposes only and should not be considered as a substitute for medical advice. Consult a healthcare professional before implementing any home remedies or making significant changes to your lifestyle.