How to make healthy food choices when eating out
Making healthy food choices when eating out can be challenging, but it is possible with a few tips:
- Look for menu items that are grilled, baked, roasted or steamed instead of fried or sautéed in butter or oil.
- Choose dishes that are based on lean protein such as chicken, fish or legumes, and opt for vegetables and whole grains as sides.
- Be aware of portion sizes, and consider splitting an entree with a friend or taking half of your meal home for later.
- Avoid foods that are high in saturated or trans fats, added sugars, or sodium. This includes fried foods, creamy sauces, and sugary drinks.
- Ask for dressings and sauces on the side so you can control how much you use.
- Be mindful of your beverage choices and opt for water, unsweetened tea or coffee, or low-fat milk instead of soda or other sugary drinks.
- Don’t be afraid to ask your server for recommendations or substitutions to make your meal healthier.
- Consider looking at the restaurant’s menu online before you go so you can plan ahead and make healthier choices.
Remember, making healthy food choices doesn’t have to mean sacrificing taste or enjoyment. By being mindful of what you’re eating and making smart choices, you can still enjoy eating out while maintaining a healthy lifestyle.